Spring Home Improvement Checklist
Friday, March 30th, 2018 by John Wagenknecht
With the days getting longer and temperatures turning warmer, now is the perfect time to get your home ready for Spring. You will be able to enjoy the pleasant weather ahead even more if you know your home and yard are in tip-top shape. Just follow this handy checklist to make sure you don’t miss anything important.
- Check your roof shingles. Your roof can take a beating during the winter. Before the spring rains arrive, you need to check for any loose, damaged, or missing roof shingles. Replace any shingles that are cracked or loose to avoid more serious damage in the coming months.
- Clean your gutters. Inspect and clean your gutters in spring to make sure that they are not damaged or loose. It’s vital that your gutters drain properly to avoid water buildup in your basement and around your foundation. While examining your gutters, make sure that downspouts are free of debris and draining away from your home’s foundation.
- Look for leaks around windows and doors. Insulation is important to keeping your home comfortable no matter what the temperature is outside. One way to improve your insulation is by checking for and repairing any cracks or leaks around your doors and windows. If your windows were drafty all winter, they will probably allow hot and humid air to enter during the summer. It may be time for new, energy efficient replacement windows.
- Inspect your concrete. Homeowners also need to check their foundation for cracks or signs of movement. Damage to a concrete foundation can present safety issues for you and your family. If you find cracks, be sure to fill them with caulk or concrete filler. You should also power-wash and seal the concrete to protect it.
- Schedule an air conditioning tune-up. Schedule a service visit with a qualified HVAC technician who will clean and lubricate your system while also checking for any repair needs. Do this BEFORE the hot weather arrives and the best service technicians get booked for weeks in advance.
- Prepare your yard. Don’t forget to prepare your lawn and other outdoor areas for summer. Get rid of any weeds, trim your plants and bushes, and make sure all debris is removed. This is especially important after all the Nor’easter storms we had this winter.
Need help with home improvement? Call A&A Services at (978) 741-0424 to learn more about our high quality, affordable services.